18 October 2011

Tuesday evening

Realised today how much blogging time I have when I'm at the hospital with Michael - those quiet moments when he's resting or just when he doesn't have the energy to be sociable.  No such time today - the nurses gave me the all clear today to take the kids up to the hospital.  Michael had told them he was up to it.

So we set off in the hope that the M25 and M40 would be accident and traffic free.  Unfortunately, no such luck.  Luckily for me, my friend (unlucky for her) had hit the M25 earlier than me (on a much more exciting shopping trip!) and texted me literally 2 mins before I was about to hit it.  So, it was the scenic route again - just hoped I'd remember the way as I didn't have the map or the sat nav.  Actually it wasn't too bad and we didn't get lost.  Just a slightly longer journey and no sitting in traffic.

Michael was happy to see the children and they were really excited to see their Daddy.  The amount of times they've been to different hospitals to visit him, they also find it quite exciting to see what his room is like (whether there's any nosh available).  UCH was a ward, so they loved Oxford - a nice private room.  It was a real effort for Michael - he was sitting in the chair when we arrived, pretty much covered up.  I'm not sure if they could really see all the tubes being drained from different directions as they were strategically placed under the blanket.  They did ask about the main line in Michael's neck as I guess that's in plain sight, but didn't really question anything else.  I did give the wifely glare to Michael at one point, for him to make a little bit of an effort for the kids - it may sound harsh but I had said to him yesterday that he had to be 100% sure that he was up to seeing them.  It was his decision and therefore he had to try and speak to them a little bit.   I know he was very uncomfortable as the pain hasn't really subsided too much, and he's also now got an infection (apparently nothing serious - nothing unusual) for which he's now on antibiotics but suffering from being extremely hot.  Maybe I was more conscious that I didn't want the kids to be too upset that Daddy wasn't in good form.  Don' get me wrong, I didn't expect him to be laughing and joking and walking around but I wanted him to at least speak to the kids.   Selfishly, I was going to be the one who had to deal with them being upset.  Anyway, it turned out just fine - kids more than happy.   They've had their 'Daddy fix' and I hope it cheered Michael up.

The drive home was the quickest.  45 mins.   Think I may start to record my best times!

Tomorrow I'm back without the kids.  They'll be having fun with their friends.  I'll catch up in detail with what's happening with Michael - although I was there today, I didn't  feel I could ask too much with the kids there.   As I said when I wasn't there on Sunday, always feel like I have missed an awful lot just being absent for a day.

Night xx

No comments:

Post a Comment