20 October 2011

Thursday Evening

Think my evening blogs are going to start to get earlier and earlier - I'm exhausted!!

Michael was fairly comfortable when I left him around 4 pm today.   He was angry with himself as he'd slept for the last 1 1/2 hours, so we couldn't talk but that was down to the diazapan.  Also, he hadn't had a good night sleep so needed to catch up.  To know that I'm there, he likes to hold my hand (no problem there) but then he moves both our hands to behind his head for his comfort, but most definitely not for mine.  Feel cruel slowly removing my hand but after a couple of seconds it does start to go numb!  He really is so much more peaceful now when he sleeps - no tossing and turning but still the occasional funny one-sided conversation.

Before I left, he had his central line removed, a cannula put into his hand for drugs and a butterfly needle into his leg for his pca (his pain pump). Now he's got is own pj bottoms, so one leg has to be rolled up so the butterfly needle doesn't hurt.

The infection team came to have a look at Michael as well to find the best way of stopping these bugs breeding.  They have now taken cultures from his hickman line (one in his chest for his tpn) as they think maybe bugs could be coming from there.   We've been quite lucky that Michael's had no problems with his Hickman.  Some people suffer constantly from infections and have to keep having them removed and replaced elsewhere.  We've been really conscious of cleaning it properly and up till now have had no problems.  All I can say is, as disgusting as I thought it would be having to clean the area where the lines goes in each week for Michael, I got over it and was vigilant in keeping it clean and infection free.  But not even two weeks into being in hospital and it may be infected  - obviously I need to give some training!! JOKING :)

Cultures takes 1 - 2 days to come back.  If it is the Hickman line, then antibiotics for two weeks and if not, antibiotics for just one.   Not sure if it comes back negative if they have to look for another area where the bugs are coming  from - have to say I'm not entirely sure about this bug thing!  Definitely one of those cases of asking questions, thinking you understand the answer and then realising you haven't a clue.

Feel like I haven't stopped this afternoon.  Came home, picked up Nathan, dumped bags, had a quick snack, took Waffle to have his stitches out (so brave!), came home, had coffee, doing blog and now about to collect Lauren.  Today is really one of those days where I'm feeling the strain of it all - really doesn't help that it's starting to get darker earlier, and the clocks haven't even gone back yet. After nearly two weeks I'm missing have Michael at home - can't believe a few weeks ago I was moaning he was always here.  Some people are never satisfied!!

Bye for today. x

No comments:

Post a Comment