14 October 2011

5.25 pm

Feel completely useless. Poor Michael is getting so distressed with his bloated tummy - very very uncomfortable for him and there is no pain relief that will help. Keeps waking up from his fitful sleep, asking if it's time for his pain relief or anti-sickness. I have to keep reminding him that his pain relief is constant and there's nothing more the nurses can give. And he doesn't actually feel sick at the moment - he just feels he needs/wants something. And so he tries to sleep :( The nurse is going to try and aspirate (drain) his tummy tube in a short while to c if that helps. Just done - quite a bit if bile came out - Michael's now feeling more comfortable and has now gone back to a more restful sleep. They believe this is all down to the opiates. His old bowel was used to them - obviously his new one isn't. So its really important to wean him off.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here feeling quite useless. I know he likes me to sit with him, and be there when he wakes up but it's awful not actually being able to make him feel better.

I have though added some more experience to my nursing skills. Watched his stoma being cleaned and changed today. Actually quite easy - not disimilar from when I clean his hickman line (where his tpn goes in). In fact, looks easier as it doesn't seem to be an aseptic (sterile) technique. Have to admit, did feel a bit light headed (true to form as always) but then I did when shown the hickman line so I'm sure we'll both eventually get used to it.

He now looks very relaxed - arm bent under head, legs splayed in different directions. Not sure it's a good position to be in - but he's happy.


Justine

read my blog:www.the-transplant-wife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment