11 October 2011

Day 3 : 5.40 pm

Surgeon came to check on Michael. Happy with how things are going but wants Michael to break the mobility/pain barrier. He obviously knows Michael's in pain but explained that if Michael's more mobile, it's easier to cope with the pain and then less opiutes (that spelling looks wrong!) r needed which helps gets the bowel moving. Michael will always push himself but today has just been a bad one. The surgeon has no idea what Michael's like and most probably thinks he's not trying hard enough. He's already agreed to try sitting on the edge of the bed and maybe just stand up later on.

Meanwhile, the surgeon looked and checked the stoma. I was sitting on the other side of the bed and could not really see what he was doing - his fingers looked like he was cleaning out the top of a milk bottle. The nurse told me after that was how he checks all is ok. Michael didn't attempt to look and shut his eyes, trying to ignore what was going on.

I was speaking with the transplant coordinator today and we were discussing the stoma. I said I'd surprised myself in being able to look and that it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated but that Michael still hadn't peeked. She was saying how some people don't see their spouse/partner in the same way when they have a stoma. To be honest, over the last few years there's been so many tubes and things attached to Michael that I can't believe anything would shock me. I hope it doesn't take Michael too long to accept it. In time the stoma nurse will come and give us complete details on how he/we deal/cope with it.


Justine

read my blog:www.the-transplant-wife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment