28 October 2011

Friday - 3.00 pm

We escaped from the reality of Michael's hospital bed and 'wheeled' along to the hospital cafe. Michael was wrapped up for arctic conditions. I was careful to ensure that we carefully rolled over the floor bumps (seems to be a lot of metal floor bars that connect different bits of flooring). When the porters take Michael to xray I've noticed how careful they are, knowing any jolts are really painful for the patient. Yesterday, the medics weren't as gentle as there was lots of wincing from Michael. I think I did a fairly good job today and it was smiles the whole way (maybe he was grimacing?!). Had to leave him on his own in the cafe whilst I ran back to the flat to get a stock of ice pops. He really looked like a patient all wrapped up in his wheelchair. I just see Michael but I guess everyone thought 'oh look at that poor patient all on his own' :(
When I returned, Michael then treated me to a coffee - well I bought myself a coffee and we sat and 'escaped' for 10 mins. It was then it dawned on me that neither of us had really thought about how Michael would cope on his own in the flat. For some reason we just assumed he'd be totally self-sufficient when he transfers from hospital to the flat. I don't know why when after previous surgery I would never have dropped him at home and then left him alone. This is something we'll have to work through - know the kids won't be thrilled if I tell them I'm going to be staying in Oxford again but not sure there's another option. Just can't believe we didn't think about this.
Back at the room and back to reality. Michael was sick (only fluid and bile as nothing else there). We knew the nurse was keen to reconnect the enteral feed but Michael has now refused this as he feels he's only going to sick it all up or have it syringed out. My 'professional' opinion is he needs the feed to go into the intestine as his stomach just isn't interested in doing it's job. Guess the nurse will relay Michael's refusal to the Surgeon and we'll see what happens.
And so much for moving Michael to a quieter area so he can sleep, we think it's actually cause he needs less attention from the nurses. That's brilliant but it does also mean you can wait a long time for someone to come when you've pressed the bell. When Michael was just sick, great that I was there to get him tissues, say 'aaahhh' etc as it was a while before the nurse could get there.
Guess another patient was just waiting as well as I could hear him calling 'hello' repeatedly. Was it immature of me to call out in response 'hello'??
Michael's just nodded of to sleep - he's just grunted at my suggestion of a quick walk before I leave.

Justine

read my blog:www.the-transplant-wife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment