27 October 2011

Thursday Evening

The ambulance eventually picked us at up at 1.55 pm.  That 5 minutes made all the difference.

Michael couldn't wait to back to his room - he was cold, tired and felt extremely sick.   Although he had managed to eat a refresher chewy thingy while I had my tuna sandwich!  The nurse was ready with his anti-sickness.  This took ages to adiminster because of his venflon being so 'sad'.  I walked back to the flat to get his ice-pops and when I came back the nurse was still giving the injection to him.   She then hooked up his antibiotics and then the venflon gave up completely!!  When I left, he was still waiting for a new one to be inserted.  One of the doctors checked his other arm which was only slightly red and feeling quite hard - apparently nothing to worry about - like a blood clot in the vein (sounds serious to me) which is a bit like a bruise.  So another ache for Michael!

The nutritionist popped in for a short while.   They're aiming for his stomach feed to go back on tomorrow - starting and 20ml per hour and building up by 10 each day.  Hopefully he won't feel as uncomfortable this time and they'll also monitor any changes in his output of liquid from his stomach (the aspiration bit where they can syringe out any excess liquid being produced). On Tuesday they'll assess how much feed he's on and decide whether he needs to be put back onto tpn.  If he does, then he'll have a picc line rather than a Hickman.   He had this originally when he went on his tpn.   It goes into his arm and is more of a temporary line.  Would tell you my feelings about the whole thing but I'm too exhausted to express myself.

By the time I left at 4 pm, think Michael was exhausted and ready for some sleep.    The drive home wasn't the best as it was drizzling the whole way.  So not looking forward to the clocks changing at the weekend, and then having to drive in the dark.

Anyway, another wash load on, one child asleep, ironing up to date and I can't wait to jump into bed myself.   Need to calm myself down first as my darling daughter has just realised she can't find her football boots which she needs tomorrow.   I was impressed that I managed to hold my temper  - logic would tell you that if they're not at home they must be at school - for her sake I hope so!!!

Night   xx

No comments:

Post a Comment