29 October 2011

Saturday

I know Michael was really looking forward to seeing the kids today but I can tell he's not feeling good because there wasn't even a smile when they walked into his room.   Don't get me wrong, I know he was thrilled but as everything is such an effort at the moment, forcing a small smile was even too much.   Thankfully the kids don't notice but there's just no sparkle. When you know someone so well, you sort of know how they usually react to things - even if he wasn't up to talking, he'd just normally sit and watch them interact (or argue) with each other.   The kids were brilliant - yapping away; eating the food Michael isn't eating; playing on the reclining arm chair; constantly refilling water from the water cooler in the corridor.  Makes it easier that Michael's in his own room.   They don't have to worry about being too noisy, and they sort of take over the room.

I was hoping to be able to wheel Michael to the cafe again with the kids, but he definitely wasn't feeling up to it.   He was desparate for his anti-sickness injections but unfortunately was hours away from having them.   He had his tube syringed and quite a lot of bile came out, which made him slightly more comfortable.  We did though manage a walk, all 5 of us up and down the corridor. 

The surgeon came round this morning and it's likely that they'll change the 'D' tube to a 'J' tube on Monday.   He was totally understanding about Michael rejecting the eneteral feed yesterday although was obviously hoping that it would work well this time.   It's not going to happen so therefore the best bet is to go for the feed direct into the intestine.  This procedure is done as an endoscopy (in the mouth, and down the throat - I'm gagging as I think about it).  I can't imagine it's too long a procedure - assuming he'll be slightly sedated.

Someone asked me today wouldn't it help if he just started to eat.   If only it was that easy.  The fact is, because the stomach has forgotten what to do, he'll just eventually bring the food up (which is what happens to the Enteral feed when it goes into the stomach and stomach's not sure what to do).   So even if he could ignore the constant feeling of sickness and force himself to eat, it wouldn't help the situation in any way.  Meanwhile, the four of us enjoyed the array of food that's sitting there!!

We stayed for over 3 hours.  Sad - but after Michael's marathon stay in UCH last year, the kids are really quite happy to sit in a hospital room.   I forget that I see him everyday and they don't visit very often - they're just happy to sit in the same room as their Daddy.

Michael and I had a further walk down the corridor - romantic - just the two of us whilst the kids vegged in the room.  I cannot believe how quiet the ward was today.   Although all the rooms are full, just seemed to be no one around.   Only saw 4 nurses the whole time I was there - can't believe just 'cause it's the weekend that patients don't need as much assistance!!!

Had a lovely relaxing evening.  My eldest chef made great home pizza and we enjoyed Saturday evening TV.

Thank goodness the clocks go back - means a slightly later start for the stables tomorrow, although come Monday when I'm driving home from the hospital, I'm really not going to be too thrilled with how dark it's going to be :(

No comments:

Post a Comment