13 October 2011

Day 5 : 9.15 pm

The end of a another day and it feels like progress has been made. Michael worked really hard today and, his reward...... sleep.

Got himself worked up about 40 mins ago. Wanted his meds and started to become very aggitated. Also stressing about going to the loo (can't believe I'm discussing his toilet regime!). Apparently after you have a catheter removed, it's quite painful, and he's suffering. I didn't realise but the reason they took it out was because he was getting bladder spasms, which was made worse from the catheter balloon (that's what stops the catheter from falling out). Thankfully this means the pain has stopped. Unfortunately everything has a downside. Anyway, he's now had his bed tidied up and he's all calm and restful.

Michael has had the most wonderful nurse. No names mentioned, but you know who you are. Makes a real difference to have a male nurse when they're having to deal with such personal needs, and Michael really was in capable hands. Shame is, he's now off for a week or so. I have to say though that so far all the staff have been amazing so sure all will be good tomorrow. I just always remember in UCH, Michael just getting used to one nurse and then the shifts would all change :(
Had a really interesting talk today with another transplant recipient. She was one of the first to have a bowel transplant in the UK, approx 2 years ago. Fascinating listening, and being able to ask all those questions that really nobody but someone who's been through it could answer. She looked really well and her life is normal (whatever normal is). Wow - someone who's been through it all and come out the other side. Just so exciting to see - gave me a really boost that our life can also be normal one day. Feels like a long time ago we ever had a regular life. I know its a long way off but seeing someone who really has got a new life was so very comforting, inspiring.... just so wonderful.

You'll all laugh but my next task is to ensure the flat is more welcoming when Michael does eventually get there. Before I make any comments, I apologise in advance if anyone who is reading this actually looks after the flat. Maybe I'm a bit fussy, but the more time I spend there (and it really is for short periods), I notice more. Not sure when the toilet walls were washed; loo hasn't had a thorough clean in a while (well, it has now); I could go on but I guess that's quite sad!! It's just not a bright and airy space that anyone could spend too much time in without feeling depressed. So I'm thinking of getting in contact with 60 Minute Makeover. No seriously, I think I'll have to attack with a bucket of bleach, lots of air freshener, some brighter light bulbs, funky duvet., posters on the walls. Somehow got to give it a new lease of life.

Well it's now time to go back to the flat. Feel awful now that I've been so rude about it. It's so helpful being able to use it - I so appreciate being 5 mins away......


Justine

read my blog:www.the-transplant-wife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment