25 October 2011

Tuesday - 12.10 pm

Michael's just getting prepared to go down for an xray. Quite comical seeing the nurse prepare all his cables. Think I could do it myself. Lots of beeping of equipment and puzzled looks. Given up on one of them and decided Michael can have a 20 min break instead!!
So nice to have a friendly porter roll the bed down. Actually talking to Michael and warning him about the bumps as we go into the lift. Quite often, its just a silent ride down. The porters don't wait around but usually come back quite quickly to return us to the room. Shouldn't say that - bet we'll have a long wait today. Reminds me of a time last year in UCH. Michael had to go to one of the other buildings. The porter took us via the underground tunnels of the hospital, Michael in a wheelchair (even though he was quite mobile at this stage). We had the appointment and then were told to wait for the porter to come back. We waited and waited and then just decided to give up and make our own way back. We couldn't use the tunnels as they are staff only. We got down to the ground floor and the only way to get back to the main hospital was to go outside and cross the road. So, up Michael got in his pyjamas and we made a dash for it. Meanwhile we got back to the ward - not sure if the porters ever realised they'd lost a patient!!!
So xray done and we're now waiting.....
Michael's greeting for me today was that he needed the loo. Encouraged him to use the bathroom rather than those awful cardboard bed pan things. Unplugged the cables (no beeping at all) and off he went. Now I'm not sure I should be blogging this as it's not normally stuff people want to discuss but as this blog is also going to be Michael's diary of events at a later stage, I shouldn't really miss it out. So - he's just passing what he describes as tar at the moment. It's purely old blood and this is quite usual. His 'big motion' last week was actually the remains of what was already in the bowel (yuck I know!!). Main thing is that things are getting through.
Hasn't eaten anything today. Forgot to say that yesterday he had 1 whole chocolate button, (or did I tell u?). And today I've had 5 already.
Porter just turned up - not a long wait at all. :)
Can't say he was jumping for joy at the array of snacks I bought up. Happy with the ice pops but disappointed that they weren't frozen yet. Took them to the flat and hopefully they'll be ready later. His just feeling a bit sick and was a bit sick earlier on.
Just back at the room and hoping I can persuade him to have a quick walk. As I type this Michael actually suggested a walk - so we're off.

Justine

read my blog:www.the-transplant-wife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment