1 November 2011

Tuesday

What I would give to be able to walk to the station and sit on a train to the hospital. I seem to know every inch of that motorway and as quick as the journey generally is, the thought of cruising along it again does not fill me with joy.

And how is it kids makes such a mess when they clean their teeth? Has taken all my strength to ignore the toothpaste over the sink, taps & mirror and hand towel on floor. As much as I wanted to clean it before I left, I knew Michael was clock watching as yesterday he'd noticed I arrived a bit later. So I ignored the mess but have decided the kids can now clean it themselves (thank goodness I have the other bathroom).

Naturally all was not as expected yesterday. Apart from the delay in getting it all done, they also discovered 3 ulcers in his stomach. One is a large one (acute trauma ulcer) and then two smaller ones. This will definitely be a cause of the sickness Michael has been suffering. The stomach now needs as little stimulation as possible to stop the acids and alleviate some of the sickness. Michael will also be given another liquid to swallow (something like pepto bismol - pink liquid) which will coat the ulcers and start to heal them. Could take around 15 days for them to clear up.

So meanwhile, they are due to start the Enteral feed today - haven't discussed yet the amounts. His tube into his stomach has just been 'closed' as it has been on freeflow since yesterday. Michael's also not allowed to eat and drink anything - can suck on a sweet if he gets dry, again to stop stimulation of the stomach (so who's going to eat the crisps and sweets on his table???).

Can't believe that one of the nurses came into the room to help the surgeon with something, and then knocked a bowl full of ..... that Michael had just emptied from his stoma bag. Think he thought he'd got away with it and that no one had noticed but I was there to snitch on him to Michael's nurse who in turn made sure he cleaned it all up!!



Justine

read my blog:www.the-transplant-wife.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment