22 November 2011

Tuesday

Oh the joys of children. Last night, just as I was about to flop into bed, discovered Nathan had put one of his most exciting Bar Mitzvah presents in the wash with his jeans. Two tickets to the International Horse Show. OMG you should have seen his face. We managed to pull the wet pile apart and just about had two tickets, but completely unusable. Phoned Olympia this morning and explained my sad tale - all now sorted.

Then today started with a struggle to get all three of them off to school. Without giving away who caused the problem, let's just say through the coughing, spluttering and moaning someone was far from happy about having to go to school. Would have been so easy to put said child back to bed but I knew Michael was expecting me - talk about being pulled in all directions!! Anyway, eventually all left and my usual routine commenced.

Found Michael in good spirits when I arrived. He'd already had two walks up and down the corridor. Today's little food gift was Minstrels - good choice and he started nibbling straight away. That freed up yesterday's Cadburys Buttons for me. Apparently the Reg had been round and they've discussed discharge from hospital in two weeks if everything keeps on going as well as it is. Exciting and quite scary - although definitely more scary for Michael than me. That's why the Surgeon is so keen for us to keep going out - just so Michael can start adjusting to life 'outside'. Michael was not keen to repeat yesterday's trip out and thought that perhaps we'd just visit the roof garden. The Surgeon then popped in and asked if we were going out (and only wanted a 'yes' in response) and that was my chance to jump in and say yes. Guess Michael was resigned to the fact that we were going out again.

We did the same as yesterday and waiting for his anti sickness drugs. They then disconnected him from his feed and also his drip (on fluids today as his anti-rejection levels are a bit too high which affects the kidneys and therefore more fluid is needed. Nothing to be concerned over - the levels are monitored every day and could be higher as bowel starting to absorb more). Change of shops today - Waitrose first. Thought by having a stroll along the aisles may tempt him with something. I was trying to be very subtle but failed miserably - he knew what I was up to. We then strolled (actually he relaxed in the wheelchair and I did my weight lifting practice) along the shops and then stopped for a drink. Shame it's not summer - it's hard to constantly push him so it means spending the time at coffee shops. Meanwhile, it's just nice not to be the patient and visitor for a couple of hours - we talk about the same things but it makes a big difference not being in the hospital room. All too soon it was time to return - Michael even walked from the car all the way back to the room. In a few days I think I'll get him to push me back in the wheelchair.

Fresh air must have made him hungry - managed two small crackers and cheddar cheese. First savoury food he's tried - and he really enjoyed it.

So it's all looking rather positive. Told the kids that Daddy may be home in as little as two weeks and they were so excited. Could my daily drive to Oxford soon come to an end? I really do hope so - things are looking up.

xx

1 comment: