21 November 2011

Monday Evening

So we made it to Headington. Michael's face was a picture when the Surgeon came in this morning and thought we were going to Oxford City Centre. Think that was stretching the idea somewhat. The local shops were just fine as a starting point. Once I'd managed to squeeze the wheelchair into Michael's car, we set off. Sure Michael's shivers were more from nerves than cold.

Our adventure started at the Post Office. Definitely the longest queue I have ever experienced at any Post Office. One man had a pile of (I assume) Xmas cards, each one being weighed individually!! Next stop was Boots as our thermostat has just broken, together with some intensive foot cream for 'those feet'.

The whole experience was quite comical. Pushing him along the corridors of the hospital is a doddle. He was much more of a weight on the pavements and all the pavements seemed to slant towards the road and were extremely bumpy. I tried my hardest to give him a smooth ride - but it was not easy. At one point I struggled to get over the shop threshold and we did laugh how funny it would be if he just stood up and walked across and then sat back down again. Bit like that sketch from Little Britain - although Michael was definitely better dressed than the character Andy (apart from his Crocs as I forgot to bring him shoes up!!) and please, no comparisons to Lou thank you very much!!!!!

We then chilled in Starbucks. He even managed half a calorie laden millionaires shortbread (and more to the point, I managed not to finish it!). I was actually surprised at how long we managed to sit and talk without him worrying about returning. We didn't get back till just after 3pm - nearly out for two hours. Had such a nice time (I'm obviously easily pleased) and I think it definitely gave Michael a taster of life 'outside'.

Back at the hospital, the Stoma Nurse came and gave Michael another lesson on cleaning and changing. Michael did amazingly. Don't get me wrong - he's not jumping for joy about it, but he's dealing with it.

Hopefully we'll have another little trip tomorrow - just hoping my coughing, spluttering daughter gets off to school in the morning......

No comments:

Post a Comment