25 November 2011

Friday

It's so refreshing not to have to blog any major changes on a daily basis. Michael is just doing really well and his strength seems to be slowly building.

I hadn't seen Michael since Tuesday. Lauren's cough and cold got the better of her and she had a 'mummy day' on Wednesday. We just had a lazy day - she must have needed it as has been much happier ever since (and a happy daughter makes a happy mummy!). Thursday I didn't go to the hospital either, so it was lovely to see him this morning, freshly shaved and smiling. I realise he's got a long way to go, but he really is like his old self - happy to talk (whereas a short while ago, he barely listened) and just interested in what's going on in the World, and of course Radlett!!

Before our walk, I had to sample some of the delights sitting there - no will power whatsoever. I was so impressed that he actually wanted to do two laps of the corridor - amazing improvement.

He then mastered cleaning and changing his stoma himself. The Stoma Nurse had last come in on Tuesday and he was hoping that he would come again yesterday. As not, he decided to brave it himself. All managed quite successfully - definitely getting over his struggles with the whole stoma thing. Maybe the nurses don't come that often as a way of encouraging the patients to deal with it themselves (or maybe not!!).

The Surgeon popped in but purely to ensure that we were having our daily trip out. I had googled to see if there was Oxford's version of Brent Cross nearby but the only place I could find was in the City Centre and I didn't fancy struggling to find somewhere to park. So we headed for our usual haunt - Headington. I have never known a parade of shops to have soooo many charity shops. Anyway, we cruised along the pavements - today's wheelchair seemed to veer towards the right and at one point I think Michael thought he was going to land up in the road - thankfully not. As always finished off in Starbucks - they're really not going to make much from us. One coffee for me whilst Michael devoured a slice of Aaron's jam & cream swiss roll (happy that he ate it all but quite disappointed there was nothing for me to finish off!!) and then nibbled on some crisps (sorry Starbucks they weren't purchased in store either).

These trips out are great. Michael does always pull a face when he realises we are going out - and makes out to the nurses that I'm such a bully, but I do believe he actually enjoys being out of the hospital. Today I did make him walk from the room, along the corridor, down the lift and to the car - he managed. I guess I am a bully (a nice one I'd like to think) but now it really is a time for building up his energy for home. There'll be no wheelchair there so the more he can walk, the better.

Also the time we spend now is no doubt more than we will when he does come home. As much as I have managed to keep everything in order whilst he's been in hospital, I know that once he's home, I won't be sitting with him on a daily basis, watching tv together and walking the hallway - I'll be doing 'stuff' and I'll slot back into the usual routine of life. It's just what happens - so I guess we should enjoy our 'quality time' together. Of course, I'll be there to help him - always, but the amount of time we spend sitting, talking or just sitting at the moment just wouldn't happen when he's home. On the other hand perhaps life is somewhat protected for both of us when he's in hospital and I'm visiting - suppose it's secure for both of us knowing there's always Doctors and Nurses around. I can't though think of a time in the last few days when we've actually needed to call the nurse for any sort of query or help but perhaps knowing they are there all the time is comforting in itself. Once Michael's home, we don't know how either of us are going to feel. Michael seems much stronger and improving each day but once we're home maybe having the 'protection' removed will change things a little. Also, at the moment the nurses deal with all his meds and back home, it's all up to us!

Guess I'm rambling on and in time we'll see for ourselves how we cope with it all. Meanwhile, I'm thrilled to have another day when I can tell you 'he's doing really well'.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment