18 January 2012

We were back at Oxford for the usual tests today. Horrible driving conditions today but thankfully we made it in good time. Bit of a false start though. I took the kids to school today - just meant Lauren got a bit of a lie in as bed time so far this week has been midnight!! Came home to collect Michael who was panicking as he'd just found a hospital letter stating he had an appointment for tomorrow. I did remember that we had definitely made today's appointment but then had received a letter detailing appointments for last week, tomorrow and one for 2013!! I had left it to Michael to phone and sort and, of course, he hadn't. So, he called the hospital to double check and we then waited for them to call us back to confirm before we set off. Anyway, made it by 10.20 am which was pretty good - especially as I'd woken and heard that there'd been an accident around our stretch of the M25.

Not too much hanging around today, although we were still there till after 1pm. Bloods took forever as usual and then we met with the nurse to go through any problems we were experiencing. Most of our questions related to the feed, so we held off until our next meeting. The Nutritionist believes the problems Michael is experiencing is definitely from the new drug he was put on before he came out of hospital, which he stopped nearly two weeks ago. This takes about 14 days to clear from the body and therefore we will see if everything calms down by the latest, Saturday. My gut feeling (don't normally talk about my gut) is that it wont make any difference, and it's just the actual feed that's causing Michael the problems. But it's all trial and error at the moment, and we'll see what happens. She did give us a new feed to try out (guinea pig style!) if things don't improve and see if that makes a difference. Food was also discussed and she feels at the moment, Michael should try and keep to a soft diet - ie. custards, yoghurts, mushed vegetables (bet you can see his face if I gave him that!), cheese sauces, etc.

No scope today as the surgeon felt there was no need. I did query that Michael still looks very bloated - a bit like when he was on tpn. The surgeon felt that now Michael had a functional intestine (rather than the hard lump he had pre-surgery) that this was his normal shape. Neither of us are convinced and I guess like everything, it will be a good few months before we'll really see what the final 'picture' is.

The whole way home all I could think of was my lovely soft bed. Having also had two late nights (well for me anyway), I was feeling the worse for wear. Didn't really help that I had to drive to Oxford today. Know at certain points in the journey Michael was definitely holding onto the seat and double checking that my eyes were still open. Made it back in good time (under and hour) and literally climbed the stairs and threw myself on the bed and had an amazing hour and a half snooze. Feel so much better, although another late night awaits Lauren and me.

Do Michael and I feel like it was a successful day? Not really (although not unsuccessful). Not like we came away with any definitive answers although we both realise this is the nature of bowel transplant. Hopefully (for others), 10 years down the road, there will be more precise answers on the sort of queries we have.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment