29 December 2011

Thursday morning

I'm back!!! I know it's been quite a few days since I've blogged but although it's been the restful holiday season, I don't seem to have had a minute to myself. In true form we've been sleeping in, seeing family and friends, chilling, watch tv and eating too much. And there's me saying I haven't had any time!

May sound all quite normal for us, but it's been hard for Michael. Sunday, we were with my family and he coped with the day very well. Had a little lunch, fell asleep in the armchair for the afternoon and the planned walk with my Dad never happened!! To be honest, he wouldn't have done anything different at home. It was just lovely us all being together, out of the house.

Monday we were with good friends in the afternoon - another relaxing day. By 7pm though Michael was tiring - he hadn't managed the afternoon armchair sleep and felt he just needed some quiet time. He was happy for me to take him home (gave me an opportunity to give poor Waffle a quick walk) so he could sort his feed and stoma out, and I went back to our friends. At one point when our eldest saw Dad and me getting ready to leave, he did resign himself to the fact that they were also leaving and I could see the disappointment in his face, knowing that everyone else was staying but, as always, our famiy were leaving first. The relief on his face when I said they were staying and I was coming back. Poor kids - they're so used to the Seres always leaving earlier than everyone!!

Did then get an aggitated bbm from Michael - his output had increased tremendously since getting home and he was a bit concerned. We both agreed there was no point in panicking - it could all wait til Wednesday's hospital visit.

Tuesday was the kids' treat to the theatre. On the way there we passed the Wellington Hospital - told the kids that 23 years ago, when Daddy and I first started going out, that's the hospital he was in. Whereas most people show their kids the romantic places in their parents' past, we can show our kids all the hospitals Daddy's been in!!

Billy Elliot - fabulous!! Unfortunately poor Michael couldn't come. I know if I was a nicer person, I would have booked out the whole theatre so there was no chance of getting anyone's germs. Maybe when we're both working again I'll think about that one. We had a lovely time and yes, the four of us are quite used to going out without Michael, but it's such a shame and so unfair.

Yesterday was our baby's 12th birthday and where was Michael? At the hospital - great timing. Although, when she was born, he'd only just come out of hospital after another operation and about half an hour after she popped out he went home cause HE was tired!! And then, for the next 3 years, on her birthday, he was back for further surgery. Still remember schlepping this little pink bundle on the train and up the stairs (amazing how no one ever helps a lady with a buggy!!) to visit Daddy in hospital. Anyway, just knowing that Daddy was going to be there, at some stage on her birthday was good enough for Lauren. He may have missed the present opening ceremony (like she was going to wait!) but he was there for our takeaway and movie in the evening and she was more than happy.

Having just read the above myself, it sounds like all is going great, and it is, to a point. Michael's home which is fab but he's finding that difficult. His morning regime takes a good hour (although I did notice it's getting quicker each day) and he's got to constantly monitor his input and output (from all directions!). He did mention at hospital yesterday how hard the whole 'home' thing is and they did ask whether he'd like to be in hospital instead - absolutely not. I just think neither of us appreciated how tough it would be. We assumed that coming home from Oxford meant that he would be over the worst. That's definitely not the case - knowing that the 'rejection' period still isn't over and waiting on every test reslt, not knowing what the Doctors are going to say - whether they'll call him in for another period of hospitalisation, is draining and constantly worrying. Yes - we do have periods when we (sort of) forget about bowels but it's never for very long.

Today is our 20th Anniversary (really really can't believe it's 20 years!!) and there we were lying in bed reading each others anniversary cards, and how to kill the moment - Michael pulled out his little diary to write down his stoma output for the night. Romance is so not dead!!! It really has been a rollercoaster 20 years - can't even begin to calculate how many times I've visited Michael in hospital in that time but we can only hope the next 20 years will, in time, include far less hospital visits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment