24 December 2011

Saturday Evening

I feel a little redundant now - what can I tell you about Michael's progress that he hasn't already told you in his blog?? Well, at least you all know my name as I notice he only ever refers to me as the 'my wife'!!!! Think perhaps I'll start referring to him as the 'grumpy patient'.

Think my job now will be to tell you how things are in our daily life now that Michael is home. I'd love to say it's fabulous and our life is returning to some sort of normality, but the truth is..... it's not. Yesterday we celebrated my Dad's 80th - we all went our for lunch but, no Michael. He was obviously in Oxford (and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't have been with us as too many people in the restaurant) so as lovely as it is that he's home, he still can't be part of our daily routine. Had a lovely afternoon with all the family whilst poor Michael was on his own (having returned from his tests) - how sad is that?

Today, again, Michael hasn't been feeling fantastic (maybe he's allergic to home) and to be honest has been a bit of a grouch. When he was in hospital and feeling yuck, I think it would cheer him up that I was coming to visit and he was thrilled to see me. We'd go on our little jaunts and have some quality time. Now we're together, there's no smiles when he sees me in the morning, perhaps a couple of grunts and then he's back to moping round the house. I came home after a long walk with the dog today, ready to join Michael on a short walk, and he'd fallen asleep. So much for that idea. Then when I did suggest it, he told me he wasn't up to it today, with a look of disdain. I haven't given up though - nothing like wrapping up warm and having an evening stroll.

Michael's great intention of becoming a better eater hasn't happened yet. I hope there is a time when he starts to actually think about food. If I didn't pass anything under his nose, he'd be more than happy to rely on his 'feed'. And remember that saying 'if looks could kill' - that's what I get when I do serve him up something. He's so used to sitting at the table and watching us eat, he really doesn't expect to get any food at all. It's terribly hard trying to help him.

My Mum actually bought some Manuka Honey for him (meant to be very good for you). One spoonful a day (although I will check with the hospital before he has it). You wouldn't think that was so hard. OMG you would have thought I'd told him he had to eat mud every day. Meanwhile if I'd told him he had to take 10 extra tablets a day, or even have another injection, he'd happily agree.

Maybe it's because I thought he'd be stronger when he eventually came home, but it was all much easier when he was in hospital. That must sound awful, and don't get me wrong, I obviously want him home, but that's just how it seems at the moment. Guess (hope!) things can only get better.

PS. He's just catching up with my blog and only up to day 5 after the op. Hopefully by the time he gets up to today's blog, all will be better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment