20 September 2011

3.19 pm

How much time do we all waste being put on hold whilst trying to get through to someone on the phone?   OMG - what awful music I'm having to listen to, just so I can try and sort out my car insurance claim (thanks to Michael!!!).  Guess it's our luck at the moment and it's just another something to add to the list of things going wrong.  Got a guy here mending our leaking roof at the moment - noticed a few weeks ago that there was a big damp patch in the dining room and after getting a plumber, then a damp proofing man, the roofing guy claimed it was his area.   So that's now being dealt with - just can't go outside to check that all is ok or I'll get stuck talking for ever.  Funny how workmen always have time to talk :)

Well have thankfully now spoken to someone at the insurance company and they were most helpful - now have to wait for the repairers to call and arrange collection.  Meanwhile, another problem is that someone has made a claim against me for a car accident in July to  which I have no recollection.   My insurance company don't seem to have much details of what was supposed to have happened or where it happened but apparently the other car had an awful lot of damage, which means my little Nissan is obviously more sturdy that I thought as I have no damage (well apart from the present bollard indent).  Guess it's helpful that I've got so much time to spend sorting these things out.

The good news is, our electrical problem that we had has now corrected itself.   Don't ask me how but having had a washing machine that kept fusing the house every time it was turned on, we managed to get a new washing machine through the appliance insurance.  When the new machine arrived, guess what?   That too kept fusing the house.  The electrician made a couple of visits and typically, the problem wasnt there.   On the first visit, all worked perfectly until he left the house - 20 mins later, you've guessed - the machine fused the house.   He came back the following day and, no surprise, everything worked perfectly.   Well, it's been a week now and the machine has happily been working with no problems.   Thankfully we have an RCD (think that's what its called) even if there is a problem, we're safe (I think!).

Then........  Lauren's room seems to have a funny smell in it.   Having givenl the room a thorough clean, bleaching the walls, etc, I thought the smell had gone but oh no, the next day there it was.   You would have seen me on my knees sniffing the carpet just to try and locate where it was coming from.   No such luck - can't figure it out.   It's a subtle smell that comes and goes.   The electrician assured me it wasn't anything dead under the floorboards as that smell would remain.   Lovely!!!

So, as you can see, our waiting time has been quite exciting.  The days are a little strange - all those people who have 'witheld' on their phone numbers, get us quite excited (not sure that's the right word?) when they ring.  But I guess this could go on for some time.  Michael and I are having our daily walks with Waffle.   I can see that every day is harder for Michael - huffing and puffing and telling me to slow down.  It's good for him though to keep exercising in someway and to be honest, as he's finding everything such a struggle and so tiring it's good to keep his mind off things.  We do though have to find some other routes - it's great seeing all the house extensions develop but most of the ones on our route are nearly finished.   Would actually be nice to see the inside as well.

Now feeling guilty that I haven't offered the roof guy another cup of tea.   Will catch up later xx

No comments:

Post a Comment