28 September 2011

Ever have one of those days when everything is a chore?   Well today has been one of those days.  Started off pretty well - an hour on the exercise bike while catching up with Celebrity Master Chef; trip to the physio to show me how to stand properly ( with my new 'disability' of flat feet and knock knees) so I don't keep getting back pain.   My core muscle is now constantly engaged and bum tightly squeezed - apparently that helps to put your back in alignment.

From then on in, the day was a bit 'flat'.  Felt a bit aimless - cleaning the bathrooms wasn't exactly an achievement.  It's that constant 'on hold' feeling.  While all my friends are busy busy for New Year - I'm not.   For the last couple of years we haven't taken our turn in any of the family get togethers - Michael's  either been in hospital or just ill and as lovely as it is to either be at my family or Michael's family, I just feel that I'd like to do my share, but alas it is not to be.  And so, we continue to accept everyone's generosity, and do nothing.   Well apart from making two disastrous desserts.   Tonights is for my sister in law - and I made a dessert I've made before but knew as I was preparing it, it was not going to be as successful.  Apple tartin - ummm I hear you say.   Well it does taste nice but I will have to suggest that everyone closes their eyes before eating.   I decided to use the cooking apples from the tree (you know the one I pruned last week?) and I guess there was a reason the recipe said eating apples - they wouldn't have fallen apart.  Disaster number two is dessert for tomorrow's lunch.  My mum gave me a new recipe, which I have to say was a real palava - the quantity's for about 100 people - to the point that neither of us had a tin big enough.  So I reduced the quantities - but I have to say, it just just wasn't a nice recipe to make.  Anyhow, it came out of the oven, and looks fairly edible but then today I had to make the honey icing. The only way to describe the finished result was 'slop'.  Down the sink it went and I put together some other icing - it looks presentable but lets just say I'll be skipping dessert tomorrow :(

But then the day brightened up when Michael received an unexpected gift.   A very cute cow balloon which definitely put a smile on both our faces. This obviously referred to my description of Michael chewing gum and all I can say is - I've never been to Barbados; would love to win the lottery and I've always dreamt of having a Jag!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, we've obviously had no call and it's all getting a bit much now.  I'm starting to actually wake in the middle of the night (yes, me who sleeps through anything), tossing and turning what seems like for ages before I can get back to sleep. I know I said I was fairly relaxed about the call coming in but actually now it feels like the call will just never come.

Anyway, kids now home and I need to........ actually I don't need to do anything!!!!!

To our dear family and friends -  wishing you all a very happy and healthy New Year.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment