14 August 2012

I'm glad to say that things seem to be slowly improving. Yesterday I left home around 10.30am and, can you believe at that time of day, got caught in M25 traffic. Anyway, LBC kept me highly amused talking about successful sportsmen who were born on 23 March and was this therefore a significant date. I did nearly call in to comment on how it must be as that's Michael's birthday and what a great sportsman he'd been in his youth before Crohn's had struck, and how strong he'd had to be over the last few years. Needless to say, I didn't call in!!! When I arrived, Michael was in a deep sleep - he heard me arrive and mumbled something before going back to sleep. Didn't think ththat was too positive but a short while later, he did wake up and seemed much improved since the day before. A little heavy eyed but nonetheless improved. His pain relief pump had been taken down and he was purely on oral drugs. Still in intermittent waves of awful pain but definitely more with it. And what were we left to watch with no Olympics? Murder She Wrote! Talk about an easy watch - can't believe when I used to watch it all those years ago that I didn't guess who the murderer was within the first 5 minutes! Midsummer Murders, which followed, was a tad more complicated :) With hospital food being as delightful as always and no means of heating up food, I had to think of things that Michael would eat, cold!! We went for tongue (out of a packet as I refused to cook such a revolting thing) and chips from the canteen. I'd like to say he wolfed in down but I was there to ensure he finished it. Chopped liver and pita break for dinner. Suggestions welcome! Today again was more improvement. Looked much better and not as drugged up. He'd seen the surgeon who again was happy with his progress and suggested it was time to get up and shower - the warm water may help the supposed shingles. After lunch, he plucked up courage, showered and washed his hair. Did he feel better? Perhaps no, but he definitely looked and smelt better :) The Dermatology Team came round to have a look at his itchy painful areas. Far from happy having all these people looking at places no one should have to look at!! Anyway, it was decided that it was not shingles (apparently shingles does not spread and only affects one side and as Michael's had spread, this was a sure sign that it was not shingles). So what is it? Maybe an infection or a reaction to something but now no way of knowing as it's clearing up and therefore impossible to tell. Typical - another 'something' that can't be diagnosed. More cream given to rub into affected areas - Michael can do that himself. So - how long will he be in? Who knows. Hopefully next time I write, I'll be able to tell you. Till next time x

No comments:

Post a Comment